DESIGN STUDIO 1A: REPRESENTING ME

The new semester started off with an ice breaking assignment. Before designing spaces for others, our first studio kicks off with an individual assignment of creating an object ( a sculpture, a mask, a hat, an art) that best represents ourselves.

My design approach was me as an over-protected child and a self protective person. And thus, I created layers of shells using materials of different opacity to translate the lessening of protection from my parents as I grow. And of course, me in the middle wanting to break through barriers.



Reflection: 
For this assignment, I was actually lost at first as I planned to use dreamer as an approach. Which is much more abstract because "dreams" itself is abstract. Dreams can be soft, harsh and it could be an escape from reality. I find it hard to summarize my dreamy personality in an artwork but I didn't want to give it up because that's what best represents me. Then finally during the final tutorial, I changed my direction into protection. And of course, ideas came slapping onto my face. Moral of the story: Push hard, but know whether your pushing the wall? or a door?



Comments

Popular Posts