INTERNSHIP TRAINING AND REPORT

This module aims to introduce students to the requirements, activities and operations involved in an architectural and construction practice. The objective of the module is to facilitate the involvement of students in professional attachments to architectural practices to help us develop an understanding of the general nature, principles and procedure of law and legislation as applied to architectural drawings, especially the building by-laws. In the process of the internship, I am exposed to the submission process and the range of contract documentation besides the usual design stages.


For this module, I was successfully accepted to attach to aLM Architects, one of the biggest architecture firm in Penang. The training period commenced at 3rd January to 3rd March (8 weeks). During this intensive 8 weeks, I was assigned to attend to different tasks ranging from design stage to contract documentation with several meetings and site visits along the way. 

During this intensive 8 weeks of internship, I have been exposed to many things professionally. I am aware of the responsibilities of an Architect as a designer and an administrator. Besides all the usual reading and understanding drawings, UBBL requirements, drafting etc., there is still a lot more to learn to be a great professional architect. Through discussions with my colleagues in the office, I have learnt that as an architect we must hold on to our values and to fight for what is right.

During the internship, I’ve experience the conflict between design and cost. There were times where my design was not accepted by the clients due to cost. Disappointed to how much design should compromise for profits, I tried to balance between both.

“Architecture is tough, but when you see the community putting use into your design, you’ll have goosebumps and you will realize that all the blood, sweat and tears are all worth it”
- Ar. Ho Chin Keng



Final Report

Comments

Popular Posts